General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 PM
ROP
Default Idle problem

I have a '97 V6 Camry with a idleing problem. Will start and runs ok but will not idle when first starting it up sometimes. May be just lucky but twice when this happen I took off the gas cap and the beast idled ok as it was very hot the last two times this occur. One time before it did this after shutting off around 6 times I braked and gasit to move down the highway and when I got to the next stop sign 1/4 mile away it idle ok. Reading some of the other similar forum problems it sounds like maybe the idle air control valve, pvc, fuel filter or cleaning the injector body assy. What should I try first as it's the wife car and she is getting hot.

Thanks, ROP

Old 06-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Default RE: Idle problem

well what i did to my car was the BG Fuel/Air Induction Service
u can find more info about it here >>> http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

no idle problem faced after it.

best of luck

Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 PM

do a tune up with ignition wire cap rotor, fuel filter, air filter first and see what happens...unless these have been done...do you have any trouble codes.?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:39 PM
ROP

Check engine lightis not on and I even check for trouble codes and it showed a a clean bill of health.
A nasty thunderstorm was getting ready to hit when I enteredmy initial posting and I forgot the mention the main thing that this happens once in a while. Drove it to work today and withshutting itoff for stopson the way home started it six times and it idle perfect every time.
This is what has me puzzled and the wife unsecure on driving it.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:25 PM

Removal of the gas cap may be a clue. I would test your evaporative emissions purge valve. You may be getting a rich mixture from the gas tank through the evap system. The next time it does not idle disconnect the the vacuum hose from the charcoal cannister to the intake and see if you get raw gas from it or see if the idle improves.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I had a similar idle problem and i got my idle control valve replaced. Although you can easily just clean it which will save you money. In your situation i would go with the less costly, but now that you mention that there was no check engine light, i am skeptical on weather it is this valve or not. Theres no downfall in cleaning it though so i would start with that.