General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 11:10 AM
Default Shifting Problem

2014 Camry SE, 150K miles. When accelerating normally it shifts smoothly from first to second gear but seems to "stumble" going from second to third gear. It feels like it runs out of gas, or like a choke problem. It then speeds up normally into the gear. If I accelerate slowly, it shifts smoothly through all gears-with no problem. Have cleaned throttle body, cleaned mass air flow sensor, checked vacuum hoses, brand new air filter. It feels almost like engine is not getting air (or fuel) just for that one brief moment. Anyone ever seen this?

Old 02-17-2023, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Try to determine if the issue is an engine problem or transmission problem as in trans slipping or floating between gears.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:02 PM

Thanks for reply-unsure how to determine engine vs transmission. There are no codes, and the transmission shifts normally, smoothly, if I accelerate slowly. It feels almost like I'm not getting gas flow, or starved for air. This is the first time EVER that I wished for a trouble code. I'm old enough to remember pulling the choke **** out too far and feeling the same type stumble. What is "floating between gears"?

Old 02-17-2023, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Best to try to determine if the issue is the trans or engine.

Some Camry trans models had problems. One was flare where the RPM would increase between shifts and another was a torque converter shutter. The converter is supposed to have variable lockup as opposed to full or no lock up in previous trans. The variable could have issues,

Get the model of trans as listed on the side of the drivers door then search on model for know problems and a description of the symptoms.

The internet is full of posts on Toyota trans shutter, flare, etc as it was common for a few years.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by FrankB
2014 Camry SE, 150K miles. When accelerating normally it shifts smoothly from first to second gear but seems to "stumble" going from second to third gear. It feels like it runs out of gas, or like a choke problem. It then speeds up normally into the gear. If I accelerate slowly, it shifts smoothly through all gears-with no problem. Have cleaned throttle body, cleaned mass air flow sensor, checked vacuum hoses, brand new air filter. It feels almost like engine is not getting air (or fuel) just for that one brief moment. Anyone ever seen this?
I have the same issue

Old 03-14-2023, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Might be the TPS.