General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

SRS Warning light Camry SE V6 2002 110KMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: SRS Warning light Camry SE V6 2002 110KMI

The issue is the SRS has a problem and none of the airbags will work. If a problem the troublecodes and can be read out via the ODBII system and maybe? the SRS light.

Without the codes would be guessing.

END OF THIS MESSAGE

Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Or the system could just need reseting. On some of the newer systems disconnecting the battery may not do this job any more.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM

Thanks a lot for replies. I've read somewhere that autoparts places might be able to lend you the scaner (or even scan it for you free of charge), but don't have any more details. Does anyone know which autoparts stores would do such a favor? If it's that simple, paying $100 or even $50 seems to a little too much.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

You may be able to output any codes without a reader.

Find the ODBII port under the dash near the steering column. The link below provides info on the plug:

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

Turn on the ign key to ON and wait approx 60 seconds.

Use a section of electrical wire to connect the TC (No 13) and CG ((No 4) terminals.

If there are codes stored the SRS light will blink out at 2 numeral code, 1 numeral at a time.

Example: 1 flash, pause, 1 flash pause = Code 11.

If 2 or more codes are stored they will read out from lower number to highest. After all codes are outputted they will repeat. If no codes are stored the light will blink steady at around 2 flashed per second.

If codes are present post back with the number(s).

Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 AM

Interesting. Is this procedure guaranteed to work as expected with my camry? is there a chance of something going wrong?
Also, is there a simpleway to reset this error code(s) instead? This way, if the light comes back after it was reset I'd know for sure there's a problem.
Seems like disconnecting the battery might not reset the SRS system errors.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

It should work if you connect the right terminals. The airbags are not going to go off.

The codes should clear if your complete the above test and then turn off the ign switch.

The codes are clear when the SRS light blinks at 2 flashes per second when you attempt to read the codes.

If the don't clear the codes try this:

Connect Tc and CG terminals (you should have the terminals numbers from above post) and turn on the ign switch.

The codes will read out.

Disconnect Tc wire within 3-10 seconds after the last code readsout. SRS light should come on within 3 seconds.

Within 2-4 seconds after SRS light comes on reconnect Tc (CG was never disconnected).

The SRS lights should go off within 2-4 seconds after this connection. After the light goes off disconnect terminal Tc for 2-4 seconds.

The SRS warning light should come on within 2-4 seconds after disconnecting the Tc wire.

After the SRS light comes on reconnect the Tc wire for 2-4 seconds.

SRS light should go off with 2-4 seconds after connecting the Tc wire.

If all above was done OK, the SRS light should start blinking at normal code which is 2 blinks second.

Yes, a lot of work and it needs to be proformed within the time specified.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Default SRS Light on & car dying

I'm original owner of a 4 cyl 2001 Camry and haven't had major problems. It has about 80,000 miles.

Recently after a 1-mile drive on city streets and a shopping stop, when I started my car again, the engine would die if I didn't keep the gas pedal depressed to about 2000 RPM. I noticed the SRS light turned on and would stay lit until I removed the key.

There was plenty of oil, coolant and all four spark plug cables (fairly new) seemed to be inserted correctly. When I gunned it the engine would accelerate so at medium RPM there was fuel and air getting to it.

It was 70 degrees, sunny and dry, near midday. I'd never seen the SRS light come on. The Check Engine light has been on for ages. Since I never, ever, ever take my Toyota to the dealer I figured this light was just a warning for a periodic dealer maintenance. I think it's probably unrelated to the sudden appearance of the SRS.

I left it for 3 hours. When I returned I first checked the battery before doing anything else.

12.5 volts. Did NOT disconnect cables. Then I put the key in the ignition switch, and without turning on the engine I turned to key to the On position then OFF position. Did this 10 times. Then it started and stayed running normally, and got me home. I checked it about 6 hours later, a slightly chill & light foggy SF night and it started normally. No SRS light and engine didn’t kill. Just thought I’d post this here.

Other fixes I’ve heard are checking seat belt latches, air bags, front seats harnesses.
Nov. 18, 2011 I'm just checking in to say I have NOT had a recurrence of this problem. Car's still running fine.

Last edited by Newton Rox; 11-18-2011 at 02:36 AM.