General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 PM

Thanks I think I can do this, I guess I better watch the pics also, Let me know where and when you get those DIY pics posted, Thanks again.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:15 PM

DIY 2002-2009 Gen 5, Gen 5.5, Gen 6 Trans Filter Change and Fluid Flush w/PICS! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Not sure if it is bad form to post up threads from other forums, but this is a very, very good DIY with all the right info.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

It's not bad form at all, DIY. Whatever gets the correct info to our members is what matters! Thanks for posting.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:13 AM

?, can I just jack up the front of the camry, won't it roll back? or do I have to lift the back then the front?

Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM

I saw you had a similar post on the other forum and got some good responses there, but to add some here: I would not elevate the car completely off the ground unless needed for the repair, and then only if you have very good support to keep it from coming back down. In a hurry. (Gravity is a beeyatch) Always block the rear tires when lifting the front. Block the front when lifting the rear. And never jack the car on any point that is not designed as such - the owner's manual and about a gagillion sites on the the interwebs will indicate all safe jacking points. You will either damage the vehicle or have it come crashing down catastrophically. Talk to some local EMTs about rolling on calls for crushed dudes under cars. Not pretty.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:25 PM

OK I got my torque wrench in, now the Haynes manual says to torque the strainer bolts on the trans filter to 96 lbs, but my wrench only goes to 80lbs, would it be alright if I tighten to 80lbs and tighten it just a touch more.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Do you mean inch pounds?

Old 05-09-2015, 12:55 AM

As mentioned on the other site - read those requirements carefully. Many of these smaller bolts are INCH pounds. It is 96 inch lbs, which is 8 foot pounds. Your Pittsburgh torque wrench does not go that low. I think it has at it's lower end 20 ft lbs, or maybe 10. Just hand tighten. The filter bolts and the pan bolts are essentially 8 ft lbs.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:14 PM

Hi DIYDAD,

I have 2011 Camry. I don't know how to check transmission level without dipstick. Thanks

Old 12-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by suaxe
Hi DIYDAD,

I have 2011 Camry. I don't know how to check transmission level without dipstick. Thanks
I can't believe it's been this long since I have been on this site. Time flies!

It is a more involved process to check the tranny fluid level on the "sealed" systems (no dipstick). Here is a technical video that may scare/discourage you:

But, here is the deal. You warm the car up until the tranny fluid temp is around 104 degrees F - drive around the block. The fluid needs to be in a specific temperature range: too hot and you will not get a good read and probably lose to much fluid. A good scan tool will tell you the tranny temp. Now comes one of the harder parts: elevating the thing and keeping it level. The clearance is low under there, but if you just jack up the front then the car is not level and the level read will not be correct. You will need to jack it up and secure it with four good jack stands, working to keep it as level as you can. Safety!!!! People freak out getting under a car on four jack stands - if you do it right and with the proper stands you will be fine but if you have bad stands... not a good day.

What you do is have the car running, the tranny fluid around 104-113 F, and you remove the drain plug with a pan underneath it. If the level is proper a slow dribble of fluid will come out. No fluid coming out means there is too little fluid in there. A heavy stream means too much fluid is in there (or the fluid is too hot). Some folks use an IR temp gun to read the pan temperature but that is not the optimal way to know the fluid temp. Some dribble fluid and scan that: better way to get the fluid temp. Either way it is a pain. A good OBD reader with trans temp function will tell you the fluid temp.

Or just have a shop do it. I'm a DIY kind of guy but would never buy all that crap in the video to check the level. I'd find a way to read the fluid temp electronically and lift the car, have it at the proper temp range, and get the dribble.

BTW: since last coming on here I have become a Moderator on another site. In my link I posted in 2015 - that is the site. You can find my posts there under user 'SFCamry'