New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1995 Camry idles fine, but stalls when I accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM

Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. It's the same.

4 cylinder.

Picks up great when I give it gas. I don't feel a misfire at all.

Yes, the engine starts to shake when the RPMs dip when it's idling.

What I don't get is that it didn't do this before I changed the plugs/wires/dist/rotor, it idled smooth and hesitated when I pressed the gas pedal. Now, it's the opposite.

Thx

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Is the idle problem engine hot, cold or both?

Is the engine a 4 or 6 cylinder?

Doubt if the timing is off as the engine idles OK for long time then drifts off.

Can not hear the misfire over the other noise.

You stated the engine is missing. The engine seems to pick up OK when the gas is added.

As the idle speed lowers the engine will start to shake badly. Determine if the RPM is lowering resulting in engine shake.

Might do an internet search on "cleaning IAC valve" plus you engine model. IAC valve controls idle speed.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

It most likely is not a miss then but low idle speed.

Do an internet search on cleaning the IAC valve on a 5SFE engine. IAC valve controls idle speed.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Default re: Update

I sprayed Sea Foam into throttle body (and made sure it went into the IAC valve hole) and cleaned it out (without removing it). It took about 15 minutes. Seems to work great now.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

For others who are looking for a good reference for cleaning the IAC valve, here's step-by-step instructions with photos.

How to: Cleaning Throttle Body -4 Cylinder Engines- With Pictures - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Originally Posted by toyomoho
It most likely is not a miss then but low idle speed.

Do an internet search on cleaning the IAC valve on a 5SFE engine. IAC valve controls idle speed.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 AM

well could be a few things like to much gas while at an idle or the TPS could be falty and letting it drop to far below the idle speed! but it sounds like its getting to much gas and it could be the fuel pressure regulator pushing to much gas at an idle or you could have a burt valve witch will let gas in on that plug all the time insted of spraying when its suppost to or a bad injector putting a stream insted or a mist and there are alot more things i went through bout the same with one of my cars!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Unhappy Similar problem on 1994 Camry XLE V6

Very similar issue with my 1994 XLE V6. The only resolve so far is disconnecting the battery for 2 min and letting the ECM reset. I've seen suggestions for the Temp sensor, cleaning throttle body, Mass Airflow sensor, idle control valve/sensor, and now ignition?

Where should I start?? I guess temperature wise, the guage does not go above the middle range and the cooling fan seems to be working properly, but it is possible the ECT has nothing to do with the fan operation?? The issue initially and only occurred while the car was first started, mostly after engine was previously driven and somewhat warmed up already. Then it progressed to occurring while I was sitting at idle at a drivethru and the car refused to move forward upon accelerating or even inch forward in drive with the auto tranny in drive. But it will start right back up and idle perfectly. Still disconnecting the battery and resetting the ECM fixes the problem temporarily and if any codes are recorded they are erased by this as well.

I may have to bite the bullet and get a shop to pick up the car to diagnose while the issue is occuring, which will involve towing.

Any suggestions where to start??

I can tell the engine runs a bit rich due to the exhaust (fuel smell), but otherwise it runs pretty smooth.

Have codes for bad connection or shift solenoid malfunction on the ECM, but that seems to be another issue altogether.