New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2green dash arrows and side lights will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Default 2green dash arrows and side lights will not turn off

I have a 1989 4 cyl Camry. I live in Cambodia and have few resources to turn to so i hope someone can help.
On the dash I have 2 green back to back green arrows permanently on.
The front side lights on both sides stay on permanently.
The rear driver side side light is also on permanently.
The rear passenger side light is not on at all.
Only my driver side brake light is working.
None of the turn signal are working.
I have to disconnect the battery to turn of the lights.

I hope someone can point me to a solution, I have no access to any wiring diagrams etc.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Did these problems just start or did you obtain the car in this condition? If obtaining the car someone may have done some poor rewiring.

Does the car have a third party alarm system?

The AutoZone website has wiring diagrams in the vehicle repair guide section. This requires joining the site but this is free.

Based on your symptoms this issue may be the combination light and turn signal switch or wiring.

Suggest you remove the plastic cover over the steering column and examine the wiring in this area. Look for wiring that does not match the typical factory wiring colors.

Look under the dash for add on small plastic boxes, etc. that don't look factory installed. This could be an aftermarket alarm.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 PM

Thank you for your reply.
This is not a new purchase, I have had the car a long time.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:07 PM

I have just tried the Autozone suggestion but I live in Cambodia and therefore do not have a post code or telephone number to enter.

Not sure if I can use this suggestion.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

You could try accessing the Autozone site by inputting a valid US zip code and phone number that was gleaned from the internet.

If the lights worked normally but not now have problems. Suggest you look at the following:

Inspect the cars wiring for damage from rodents, over heating, etc that might have caused crossed wiring.

After market installed alarm systems can hook into the cars hazard wiring and cause problems if failing. Inspect the car for an after market alarm system (typically under the dash).

The turn signal flasher causes the turn and hazard lights to flash. If the switch inside the flasher is stuck closed, the lights will stay on and not flash.

The hazard switch reroutes power to to the front/rear driving lights and also results in both flasher dash arrows being on (flashing). The flasher is supposed to then turn all these lights on/off (flash). If the flasher switch is stuck closed, they may be always on.

Make sure the hazard switch is working OK and not on or stuck in the on position.

For the brake light, check the bulb filaments and wiring. The brake light filament shares the same bulb with the turn flasher filament. Sharing the same bulb can cause issues.

The turn and hazard lights use the 7.5A TURN (located behind left kick panel) and 15A HAZ-HORN fuse (engine compartment). Until the problem is fixed can remove one or the other fuse depending on which one kills the power to the lights.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:17 AM

Thank you so much Toyomoho.

I tore the dash apart today and found an "auto Start" box which was an add-on. I have had the car a long time and when I bought it I found a small remote (in poor condition) and never knew what it was for.
Following your advice I cut away all 22 wires and returned the wiring the original. The problem went away completely, the car ran good all day and I was soooo happy.

BUT this evening the car will not start. It wants to start, fires for about 1/2 second then dies, I am getting a code 14. I have checked all the connectors associated with the distributor and nothing helps.
I am assuming this is yet another problem and not associated with the previous one because the car ran so well during the day.

Any ideas? The car has never had a problem until now and they came all at once.

I have noticed that the 2 fans behind the radiator turn on with the ignition and never stop until the ignition is turned off. is this normal?

Old 05-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Code 14 is no IGF/IGF signal to engine computer. Cause is igniter (seldom fails), ign pickup coil inside distributor (most likely) or wiring between distributor and igniter (who knows).

If you have an ohm meter you can check the resistance of the ign pickup coils. Should be 140-180 ohms. Also check if the resistance holds steady or changes.

The radiator fans are controlled by the following:

If the AC compressor is working, the fans will be on.

If the engine coolant temp goes above 199F, the fans turn on.

The fans should be off if the coolant temp is normal and the AC is off.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 AM

Thank you for your reply.

For no reason the car has started. For 3 days the car would crank but
was lifeless but yesterday and today it starts ok, I changed nothing. Because the problem seems intermittent, I am afraid to drive it.

Do bad igniter or pickup coils fail in this manner?

Although it runs it has a poor idle varying 300 - 400 rpms.

I have found the problem with the cooling fans constantly running, the connector was on the sensor but not pushed far enough for the terminal to
engage. As soon as the connector engaged properly the fans stopped.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

You are making progress.

Clear the codes and determine if the check light comes on again.

The igniter is typically either working or it has failed. The pickup coils can cause all kind of starting issues.

Other then poor idle, how does the engine run?

Poor idle can also be caused by a problem IAC valve (control idle), vacuum hose leaks, bad ignition wire, ign coil.

Look around for a replacement distributor and take care of code 14.